What is the best camera for clicking pictures of the wildlife? Digital SLRs are so popular nowadays that you might get lost looking for the right one. And now there are mirrorless cameras as well that may throw you off into confusion as to which one you should buy. If you are new to this whole phenomenon, you will take some getting used to it.
Wildlife photography can be difficult as it can be challenging to click pictures of animals moving around, not stopping on your cue. It can also be dangerous if you’re trying to shoot wild animals because they might not be as friendly as you might think.
Let us see which DSLR would suit best for a wildlife photography session. Keep on reading to know more.
Features of the best camera for wildlife photography?
There are certain features that you need to keep in mind to click great pictures of the wildlife without compromising for some setbacks.
- Full frame sensor or Cropped sensor – cameras are usually of two forms: full-frame or cropped sensor. Full frame sensors are much more expensive than the other ones as they offer better ISO capabilities as well as better image stabilization. They work great in even low-light situations. Cropped sensors, however, are cheaper to buy and also offer an increased reach through the lens, meaning they allow you to get a clear zoom on your subject. This is a must for wildlife photography.
- AutoFocus points – the camera that you buy for wildlife photography must have an autofocus setting. It is a must for clicking pictures of the wildlife as you cannot go on setting the focus setting manually every time you click a picture. Autofocus setting would help you click pictures and save time as you don’t need to keep setting the focus again and again. All you need to look out for is an increased no. of autofocus points on the AF system of the camera. That denotes that the camera can focus better and that you would be able to use it even when you are moving.
- Works well in low-light too – wildlife areas are not desirable when it comes to lighting as you don’t know what conditions you would get there. Also, there is no time to photograph various species during the day as they are the least active during the day. Predators are active at dusk as they need to feed on others, whereas other animals move during the morning to feed themselves and then rest for some time during the day to gain back their energy. Increasing the ISO would help you click pictures even in low-light situations.
- Shooting speed – shooting speed per second will determine how many photos you’re able to click in one second. Usually, you must have heard of the burst mode. Therefore, clicking on burst mode requires 3 frames per second. That allows you to get the perfect image that you want without missing anything. Good DSLR cameras click 12 frames per second.
Best DSLR cameras for wildlife photography beginners
Now that you know what features you need to look for in a camera, let us see which DSLR works great for wildlife photography:
- Nikon D850: This is the newest set of the Nikon series that has just arrived on the market. It is not only a great option for wildlife photography; it also clicks amazing scenic landscape shots. It takes 7 frames per second at 45.7 MP, which makes it the best deal for a wildlife photography session.
- Nikon D500: Nikon D500 is known for its amazing abilities like a crop sensor camera and an autofocus system. This camera is the perfect choice for photographing birds that are flying in the air. It is a great camera for clicking fast-moving things. It has 21 MP and a great ISO as well as a crop sensor.
- Canon 7D Mark II: this has a crop sensor as well, and it offers 10 frames per second with 20 MP. It also has a high number of autofocus points, meaning it will be able to keep a focus even in fast-moving situations.
- Canon 5D Mark IV: this is a relatively expensive camera; however it is so good you would not regret it. It shoots 7 frames per second and has 30 MP sensors. It is the most popular one.
Which Canon DSLR is best for wildlife photography?
Canon has been famous for making DSLRs, and it has improved with every version it ever made. There are so many DSLRs now, such as Canon 1DX Mark II, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 5D Mark IV, etc., but the best one to date has to be the Canon 1DX Mark II. Let us see why this camera is the best.
- The canon 1DX series is a flagship series. It means that the Canon brand got popular with this particular camera only. People were amazed by its quality pictures and convenient technology that is easy for everyone to use.
- The Canon 1DX Mark II has 14 frames per second, meaning it shoots 14 frames per second.
- It has a 20 Megapixel full-frame sensor.
- It has amazing ISO abilities and also shoots video in 4K resolution.
- They also have a great AF system that enables you to shoot fast-moving animals in clarity.
Best affordable DSLR cameras for wildlife photography
One of the most important points of a DSLR is how much it does cost. People are always left
behind because of their budget, even if they feel like buying a DSLR. DSLRs cost a lot, and rightly so, as they use the best of technology to give you an uber amazing experience. Let us see some DSLRs that sit under a reasonable budget.
- Nikon D330: this camera is around $340, which is a great bargain when it comes to buying a DSLR considering that DSLRs are very expensive. This camera has a megapixel sensor as well as shoots 1080p HD videos. It shoots 5 frames per second.
- Nikon D7200: it is a little expensive camera as compared to D330, but it is an even better camera. It falls around $740 and has a 24MP sensor. It shoots up to 7 frames per second.
- Canon EOS 700D are some other cheap DSLRs that you can buy under your budget.
The Bottom Line
Wildlife photography is fun only if you know what camera you should buy and what settings it has set that can get you the best wildlife pictures. However, it is not common knowledge. Therefore, you need to know beforehand which one you want to buy for yourself. There are a lot of varieties in the market that you can buy from. However, you must know what you are going in for.
The Canon DSLR Series and Nikon DSLR series are the most popular series that you can buy for shooting great quality pictures. However, you need to know your budget to buy the DSLR and then further know about the camera. Therefore, this article aimed to clear the confusion before you dive into this experience. Good Luck!
Justin Parker is a professional photographer and has been in the industry since 2007. He attended the University of Georgia. Justin combines his passion for photography and his interest in writing to give life to this blog which talks about photography in order to help and inspire young photographers.