Helmet cameras are designed to shoot adventure shots or capture any accidents that might take place while you’re biking. These cameras have versatile use such that you can use them as a safety measure or just use it to record your creativity on the road. You can take these cameras on a biking trip, snowboarding trip, or even on a ski trip.
Helmet cameras are also used for horse riding, snowmobiling, and even bicycling and motorcycling. Helmet cameras can be great for any kind of person, especially those who are fond of spending time outside their houses.
In this article, we will talk about various kinds of cameras used for various purposes. Read further to know more about it.
Which camera is the best for helmets?
Several cameras are used on helmets such as:
- GoPro Hero 10 Black
GoPro is probably the most popular camera out there, known for its versatility and super-high quality videos. It has the new G2 process, which gives a super responsive interface, doubled frames, and the best image stabilization. It can shoot 23-megapixel photos and works the best even in low-light areas.
- DJI Osmo Action
The DJI action has a front display as well as a rear camera for when you want to use it for biking trips or such. The camera is voice-controlled and uses the mount same as that of GoPro. What it lacks is it does not have GPS settings.
- Campark X30
The Campark X30 is filled with loads of accessories, even though it does not have an SD Card, and the stabilization softens the video’s resolution. It is great to buy a 4K 60p camera below 100$.
Below table provides clear idea about each cameras.
|Type of Camera
|GoPro Hero 10 Black
|5.3K at 60fps
|2-inch touch screen
|yes, with light Mod (additional costs)
|Waterproof up to 10 meters
|DJI Osmo Action
|Ultra HD at 60fps with HDR
|2.25 inch rear; 1.4-inch front.
|Waterproof till 11 meters.
Shockproof till 1.5 meters.
Second front display.
Steady stabilization of image.
|Amazing quality at reasonable prices.
A stabilizer is built-in.
Now, let us move to know the features.
Features of a camera to be used as helmet
Some standard features that every helmet camera should have are:
- It must have a waterproof and water-resistant casing so that you can even film water sports or protect the camera during skiing or horse riding.
- It must have multiple shooting modes such as single shot, snapper multiple video formats such as 720P, 1080P, etc.
- It must have a detachable battery that is easy to replace to prolong your camera’s life.
- It must support a Micro SD card.
- It must have an image stabilization feature as well.
- It should come with a GPS feature as well.
- The resolution should be at least 3K onwards.
- It should also be shockproof as you would use it for adventurous activities.
Some newly-established cameras also offer features such as
- High definition format
- On-screen menus
- Wireless transmitter to an offsite and a recording device
- A lot of mounts and 3D features.
- Waterproof bodies etc.
Smallest helmet cameras
In today’s world, a small camera is no big deal. Similarly, the Insta360 Go 2 has an HD video camera that has 6-axis stabilization, and the device weighs only 27g, not more than the weight of your thumb.
This also has a small charging case, and you get 150 minutes of use additional accessories to come with it, such as a tripod, a remote, etc.
4K helmet cameras
Sena 50C is a premium mesh communication, 4K camera, and Sound founded by Harman Kardon. It is a specifical motorcycle communication device that shoots videos in 4K quality around 30 frames per second.
You can take 12 MP still photo shots, burst shots, or even in time-lapse mode.
Best Helmet cameras for extreme durability
The best cameras with extreme durability are:
- GoPro Hero 10 Black.
- Sony RX0 II
- Yi 4K Action Camera
- DJI Osmo Action
- Garmin Virb Ultra 30
These are some of the most durable cameras that can be used on helmets.
Best Helmet camera for Skiing
Some of the best cameras that you can buy for Skiing purposes are:
- Insta 360 GO 2 Social Media Skiing Cam
- DJI Osmo Action Skiing Action Camera
- Go Pro Hero 9 Ski Helmet Camera
All of these give 4K quality videos with rocksteady image stabilization.
How do you mount an action camera on a ski helmet?
You can mount an action camera like GoPro and shoot amazing video footage which you edit post the production. You can also shoot 360-degree videos with these cameras. All you have to do is buy an extendable helmet mount that will help you record yourself while you ski and get a great scenic view around you.
Best Helmet camera for motorcycle tours
The best helmet camera for motorcycle tours is GoPro Hero 10 Black, as it is the most versatile camera made for adventurous trips on your motorcycle. However, mounting the camera is not as difficult as you might think.
You need to buy a GoPro Flat and a curved adhesive mount that will come along with the amount of the helmet. Place the adhesive on the helmet and press the release buckle to slide it towards the adhesive mount. Now use 2 extender bars and put them in with screws. Now you can place the camera and screw it tight.
Best helmet camera for horse riding
Some of the best cameras for horse riding are:
- The Cambox Isi3 is an amazing camera made for equestrians.
- The GoPro hero HD is a waterproof and water-resistant action camera that captures high-quality videos.
Which GoPro is best for horse riding?
The GoPro Hero HD Waterproof Action Camera is the best as it comes with a 1080p HD Video touch screen camera with 10MP photos.
- It is also waterproof and durable and so would be better used during horse riding.
- It has voice control which would come in handy when you are riding the horse as it does not require any click or function and is hands-free.
- It also has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings that you can use for various features such as unloading pictures to free the SD Card.
How to attach a GoPro to a horse riding helmet?
A GoPro is easier to attach as they are pocket-sized and also has a built-in stabilizing facility. You can fix it on the helmet, pole, or harness that will just hold the camera and allow you to concentrate while you are riding.
You can use the GoPro Helmet front mount as an accessory to fix it to the front of your helmet. It will get attached similar to any action camera.
Best helmet camera for snowmobiling
The best camera for snowmobiling include:
- GoPro HERO7 is the most versatile camera that works for all purposes. Similarly, for snowmobiling, it will give you 4K resolution along with video stabilization, intelligent HDR, and live streaming even.
- Yi 4K+ Action Cam is also one good form of camera that can be used for helmet camera. Some of the features included in this are 4K video quality with Sony IMX377 image sensor, good stabilization, good battery life, and great voice control.
How do you mount a GoPro to a Snowmobile helmet?
Mount the camera is facing the person driving the snowmobile as it must capture the driver’s maneuvers and movements and give an impressive image of the driver. You can mount the camera using the adhesive mount given with the camera.
You can mount the camera in another position as well. The location could be on the snowmobile’s bumper. You will be able to see the driver’s movement; however, you will not be able to see the view around.
The mounting is not as difficult as you might think, as you get an instruction manual on how to attach the camera to your helmet and all the precautions you should take.
The Bottom Line
There are a variety of camera helmets that you can choose from, out of which GoPro and Sony remain the most versatile. However, you can still find more brands that work well as an action camera. All Action cameras must have some basic features for you to use so that you can choose a camera on your own. You should always decide your budget first and then look for a camera that fits under it.
Action cameras’ main focal point should be that they should be durable and give you a stabilized video and provide you the most basic features like excellent video resolution, waterproof, good battery life, etc. You can choose from the list we have compiled to enjoy the experience.
So, with the above statement we hope you have found the complete guide on choosing the best helmet camera for adventure photography. Which one is going to be in your collection? Share your thoughts with us, as it would help other readers to come up with the informed decision.
Justin Parker is a professional photographer and has been in the industry since 2007. He attended the University of Georgia. Justin combines his passion for photography and his interest in writing to give life to this blog which talks about photography in order to help and inspire young photographers.